Alisal Fire Recovery Information

Updated 4:00 p.m. Friday, November 5, 2021

Información en español
Alisal Fire Rebuild and Repair Center

Information on debris removal, permitting process, and assistance from the County Planning and Development Department on rebuilding and repairing homes and structures impacted by the Alisal Fire.

Case Management

American Red Cross (ARC) Case Management Services

The American Red Cross (ARC) provides emergency food, shelter, and case management services to individuals and families that have been affected by a disaster. Alisal Fire survivors can open a case with ARC by calling 805-901-0845. ARC is also connecting survivors with other community resources.

Disaster Recovery Assistance and Services

This publication from the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (CalOES) summarizes available disaster recovery assistance and services.

Cleanup and Safety

NEW USDA Rural Development Home Repair Program

Loans and grants are available to repair homes and correct health and safety hazards in low-income rural communities, including homes impacted by the Alisal Fire. Funds can be used to address damage or issues related to roofing, heating/cooling, ADA showers, flooring, windows, septic tanks, sewage lines, water lines and gas tanks/lines connected to the home, amongst other repairs. Eligibility and program contact information available in this flyer.

Returning Home Information Packet

Post-fire home clean-up instructions.

Home and Building Fire Ash Cleanup

Post-fire cleanup efforts may expose you to ash, soot, and fire decomposition products that may cause irritation and other health effects.  This fact sheet provides guidance on how to safely work through and remove ash.

Natural Resources Conservation Services (NRCS) Post-Fire Restoration

The National Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) is federal non-regulatory agency that can work with partners and landowners to assess and possibly mitigate damages following wildfires, including repair of damaged watersheds, erosion prevention, and covering and protecting exposed soil. Contact NRCS District Conservationist Emma Chow at or (805) 928-9269, Option 3 with questions or to request an on-site assessment.

N-95 Dust Masks Available

Supervisor Joan Hartman’s District 3 office is distributing free N-95 dust masks to Alisal Fire survivors.  Call (805) 568-2192 for assistance.

Worker Safety and Health During Fire Cleanup

Workers face hazards even after fires have been extinguished. Employers performing cleanup and other work in areas damaged or destroyed by fire are required to identify and evaluate these hazards, correct any unsafe or unhealthful conditions and provide training and instruction to employees.  Click here for information from the California Department of Industrial Relations.

Contractors State License Board (CSLB) Disaster Help Center

Contractors must hold a valid California contractor license in the appropriate classification to perform most work on homes and other structures damaged or destroyed in disasters. Unlicensed contractors often prey on survivors of disasters. Click here to learn how to protect yourself using CSLB’s resources, including the “Find My Licensed Contractor” and “License Check” features.

Salvaging Damaged Family Treasures

Click here to access FEMA guidelines from professional conservators for those who are searching for, and finding, family treasures in the aftermath of a wildfire.

Document Replacement

California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

The California Department of Motor Vehicles can respond to questions and provide the forms needed to assist individuals in replacing DMV documents, such as driver licenses, identification cards, vehicle cards certificates and certificates of title, that were lost as a result of the disaster.
Contact DMV at (800) 777-0133; TTY (800) 735-2929 or (800) 368-4327 for hearing or speech impaired or visit the website the DMV website.

California Department of Public Health (CDPH) – Vital Records

The California Department of Public Health is working with those who have lost vital records as a result of the disaster. Birth, death, and marriage records should be requested from the county recorder’s office in the county where the event occurred.Visit CDPH’s list of county recorders or you may call (916) 445-2684; TTY 7-1-1 or (800) 735-2929

County Veterans’ Services

The County Veteran’s Services Program can provide assistance with recovering proof of military service and other documentation.

American Red Cross Picking Up the Pieces After A Fire

This resource guide offers recovery guidance for those impacted by a fire, including additional vital document replacement information on page 11.

Flood After Fire

Car washed away in flood waters and debris.

Vehicle swept away in a debris flow during a January 2017 storm that impacted areas below the Sherpa Fire burn scar.

After a wildfire, communities within and below burn scars are at a heightened risk of flooding and debris flows during winter storms.  Residents are encouraged to be aware of potential risks and have emergency plans in place.

Storm Readiness Information Center

Alisal Fire – Flood After Fire Threat Preparations

Flood After Fire Information Packet

VIDEO: Alisal Burn Area Flood Preparation


Health and Safety

For local water safety information and assistance, contact the County Environmental Health Services division at, or call 805-681-4900 and ask to speak with a water program specialist.

Use Safe Water After a Natural Disaster or Emergency

Disinfecting Wells After a Disaster

Private Wells After A Wildfire

Contact Office of Emergency Management

4408 Cathedral Oaks Rd., Santa Barbara, CA 93110
Phone: 805-681-5526